Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Missing VIP

Mark Spitz has every reason to be pissed.

While Michael Phelps sets his sight on winning eight gold medals in this year's Olympic Games, Spitz, the current record holder with seven at the 1972 Munich Olympics, is not at the Games.

Instead, he's in Hong Kong on a promotional tour as no one invited him to Beijing, and he's spoken about how disappointed he is.

"I never got invited," Spitz told The Standard. "I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously? That's almost demeaning to me. It is not almost – it is."

He also said that the IOC, Fina or any US TV network should have brought him to the Games.

Look, Beijing is only a couple of hours' flight from Hong Kong, and there is still ample of time before the swimming events draw to a close.

If there is someone who should witness the record-breaking performance of Phelps, it has to be Spitz.

Just bring him to the Games, please.

2 comments:

Kelvin said...

I totally 2nd your suggestion... poor Spitz :(

Maximillian said...

Kelvin, I can't believe you're still wasting time following my stupid blogs! Go get a life!