Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Adios, Dan!

Dan Patrick is leaving ESPN after 18 years.

I remember how much fun I had when I first watched ESPN in Hong Kong some 10 years ago, with Patrick and Keith Olbermann being the anchors of Sportscenter. They are as great a team as you will ever see.

I always like Patrick's easy-going but persuasive style, and love Olbermann's sharp wit and excellent humour.

I wish I could be as eloquent and articulate as they are. But I know I never will.

Soon after, Olbermann left ESPN and no tandem come close to what they did. Kenny Mayne is great with his dry humour and hysteric yelling, but that is just different. To me, Patrick seems to be Mayne's doctor in a psychiatric institution more than anything else.

That's why I was so happy to know that I can download the podcast of Patrick and Olbermann's The Big Show daily. After a day of hard and boring work, it is just so refreshing for me to listen to them arguing with and teasing one another.

Is Patrick really going to be the new host for The Price is Right as the rumours say? I'm not sure.

I just hope that some day, he will do an Olbermann-esque U-turn and team-up with Olbermann again for their great Big Show.

No comments: